Cyclohexane is comes under the group of Cycloalkanes.
” Cyclohexane is a saturated hydrocarbon with Six Carbon atoms present in it
All carbon atoms are Attached together by single covalent bonds with another carbon to form a ring.They are also called as Alicyclic Compounds “
Cyclohexane – An Overview :
Molecular Formula :-
Molecular Formula of Cyclohexane is C₆H₁₂
Number of Carbon = 6
Number of Hydrogen = 12
Preparation of Cyclohexane :-
The cyclohexane can be easily prepared by the catalytic reduction of benzene and its derivatives
Physical Properties :-
• Boiling Point – 80.7 ° C
• Melting Point – 6.6 ° C
• IR Spectrum – 2850 – 3050 cm⁻¹
• Used as Non-Polar Solvent in Laboratory
Conformations Of Cyclohexane :-
• The Cyclohexane ring can assume in many shapes.
• A single Cyclohexane Molecule is in a continuous state of flexing and flipping into different shapes or Confirmation.
• These Conformation arise due to rotation around carbon-carbon bonds
The Chair form & Boat form are the two extreme cases.
The Stability Of The Conformations Of Cyclohexane :-
• The stability of the Conformations of Cyclohexane is depend on the Angle Strain or Ring Strain.
• Higher the value of Angle Strain, Lower will be stability.
- Among the all possible Conformations of Cyclohexane, The Chair form is Most Stable Cyclohexane.
1. Angle Strain is Zero
2. All C-C bonds are Staggered
3. It requires only minimum energy.
- Among the all possible Conformations of Cyclohexane, The Half Chair form is Least Stable Cyclohexane.
1. Angle Strain is 10.8 KCal/Mol
2. All C-C bonds are Eclipsed
3. It Requires High energy.
Energy Level of Cyclohexane Conformers :-
|Cyclohexane Form||Ring Strain (Kcal/Mol)|
|Half Chair Form||10.8|
|Twist Boat Form||5.5|
Stability Order of Cyclohexane Conformers :-
Chair Form > Twist Boat Form > Boat Form > Half Chair Form
If you need More informations,
Please Comment below,
The Notes will be added as per your wish,
Also Check – Our Latest Posts