Trick To Find Valency of an Element:
- You must know the Valence Electron of that Element.
- This trick is only suitable for S & P block elements
- It won’t applicable for D block elements due to their variable Oxidation states.
- Lower P block elements do not come under this trick because they’ll possess an Inert Pair Effect Eg: Lead, Tin, etc
- Noble Gases don’t have any valency due to their octet stability (Outer Orbital Filled with Electrons)
The trick to finding valency :
|Valence Electron||Valency Of Element|
What is Valency?
What are Valence Electrons?
Does Valency have Any Sign?
Sample Questions for applying Trick to find valency of an atom :
What is the valency of Aluminium ?
The valence electrons of Aluminium can be calculated by its electronic configuration 1s2 , 2s2 2p6 , 3s2 3p1 . The Valence electron is 3. Therefore valency of Aluminium is THREE
What is the valency of Germanium ?
The valence electrons of Germanium can be calculated by its outer most electronic configuration is 4s2 4p2 . The Valence electron is 4 like Carbon . Therefore valency of Germanium is FOUR